Hazelnut Vanilla Coffee Torte Recipe
Let's face it – when people talk about Zavida Coffee Company, the words hazelnut and vanilla are usually involved. 30 years ago we set out to create the ultimate coffee flavor, and when Hazelnut Vanilla emerged, we had no idea that it would remain our most popular flavor 30 years later.
This Hazelnut Vanilla inspired torte recipe is not exactly for absolute beginners, but it also doesn't contain very many ingredients. Tortes are traditionally layered, and are always a crowd pleaser due to the combination of flavors and textures, like vanilla, chocolate and ground hazelnuts.
Give this recipe a whirl and should you happen to create an oven-baked masterpiece, snap a picture and send it to us @ZavidaCoffee on Twitter. We'd love to see your take on this classic Zavida recipe.
Hazelnut Vanilla Coffee Torte Recipe Hazelnut and vanilla in perfect harmony, with a touch of chocolate!
- 1 7/8 cups (450 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (300 ml) ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) Zavida Hazelnut Vanilla coffee, brewed double strength and cooled
If you don't drink coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) MiniSyrup Hazelnut Vanilla flavoring syrup, and 1/4 cup (50 ml) of milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled Icing:
- 1/2 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs (50 ml) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) Zavida Hazelnut Vanilla coffee, brewed double strength and cooled
If you don't drink coffee
- 3 drops MiniSyrup Hazelnut Vanilla flavored syrup
- 2 tbs (30 ml) Whole or ground hazelnuts, or hazelnut halves
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 10” (25-cm) spring-form pan.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and 1 1/3 cups (300 ml) ground hazelnuts.Instructions:Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 10” (25-cm) spring-form pan.
In a large bowl, beat together coffee (or gourmet flavoring and milk), eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes. Add the butter and stir.
Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix well. Spread batter into greased pan.
Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely before icing.
In the meantime, prepare the butter icing. Microwave butter until melted in a microwave-safe bowl. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted.
In a small bowl, beat egg, sugar and coffee (or gourmet flavoring) until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add to the chocolate mixture and stir well. Refrigerate until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Spread over cooled cake. Decorate cake immediately after icing with 2 tbs (30 ml) whole hazelnuts or hazelnut halves, or sprinkle with 2 tbs (30 ml) ground hazelnuts.
Photo Credit: mhaithaca | cc