Caramel Royale Coffee Sponge Cake Recipe
Coffee and dessert definitely go hand in hand; whether you're entertaining friends or attending a birthday party, after the main course it's almost always coffee and cake time! At Zavida, we've been collecting in-house recipes for many years, and love any opportunity we can get to spread the goodness with our customers, friends and family.
This deliciously delectable Caramel Royale Coffee Sponge Cake recipe makes a fluffy, sweet and creamy dessert – all mixed together in a single dish. It takes some time to make but trust us when we say that you will not be disappointed with the result.
Start with the ingredients you need and prep beforehand so you are ready to go. You will need the following:
For the Cake:
- 2 cups (500 ml) cake and pastry flour
- 1 tbs (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 ml) double strength, brewed Zavida Caramel Royale Coffee, cooled
- 1 cup (250 ml) ground pecans
For the Icing:
- 2 tbs (30 ml) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (500 ml) icing sugar
- 3-4 tbs (45-60 ml) double strength, brewed Zavida Caramel Royale Coffee, cooled
Now let's have some fun and get to work!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Have ready an ungreased 10-inch (25-cm) tube pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together, at high speed, egg whites and cream of tartar. Gradually add 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat together egg yolks, 1.5 cups (375 ml) sugar and vanilla. Beat at high speed until thick and light, about 4-5 minutes. At low speed, blending well after each addition, add 1/2 of the dry ingredients, the brewed coffee, then the other 1/2 of the dry ingredients. Fold in ground pecans.
- Gently fold egg yolk mixture 1/4 at a time into egg whites.
- Pour into tube pan and bake 45-60 minutes.
- Invert and cool.
- Remove from pan.
- For the icing you will need to cream the butter. Blend in icing sugar and enough coffee to produce a spreading consistency. Spread over cool cake.